Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Harmony

Been listening to the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid OST lately (great movie, great score), and I've been struck by the level of harmonies that just seemed par for the course back then, but seems so...I don't know if it's lacking now, but it's different. I've also been listening to Tommy James and the Shondells, and they seemed like, a perfect representation of the gap being bridged between rock n roll in the '50s and early '60s and the very popular doo-wop and other vocal groups of the time. It's just weird to think how harmonies were sort of the main draw of music, and only later did that shift to the music itself, to the point where, many times today, vocals take a complete backseat entirely. How many terrible lyrics or nearly inaudible vocals get a pass today because the music sounds cool? It's weird, and I don't necessarily think it's a change for the better...

Anyway, this song has such a great vocal showcase - no words, just voices (and yes, music). But the vocals here are the spotlight. You'll hear what I mean. Enjoy!

Burt Bacharach - South American Getaway

P.S. Yesterday was the last edition of Readyplay Radio on WHPK. Dear radio, I will miss thee! But life will live on on the internet. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment