Love Love. The night before graduation this past June, I laid in bed listening to Forever Changes and waiting for the alarm clock to go off. For a variety of reasons, I couldn't sleep. (Speaking of which - anyone else the "police theory" of MJ's last night? I'm surprised he didn't die sooner!) Anyway, it was a wonderful time, and I went back and listened to Love again today for the first time in awhile - perhaps since that night, though I chose Da Capo today instead. Inspired by hearing the Stones' "She's A Rainbow" last night, which was supposedly influenced by Love's "She Comes in Colors." I can hear a bit of similarity - but don't take my word, check it out for yourself:
Love - She Comes in Colors
Rolling Stones - She's A Rainbow
On the subject of similarity, I've also recently noticed how similar the Yolks sound to 2000's favorite garage rock revival band, the Strokes. Even the names are practically the same! Granted, they're mining different eras, so the music is pretty different, but Nathan, I gotta say, your vocals sound more than a little like Julian Casablancas's. Again, hear for yourself:
The Yolks - Hey Child
The Strokes - Barely Legal
Also, on my little road trip back from Cape Cod, I listened to Cat Stevens's "Father and Son" for I'm embarrassed to say the first time, and was blown away by how similar it sounded to the Flaming Lips' "Fight Test." So ridiculously similar, in fact, that he sued them and now I hear receives half the royalties from sales of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Crazy! Although, as you can hear below, it was a pretty blatant rip-off:
Flaming Lips - Fight Test
Cat Stevens - Father and Son
And speaking of the Flaming Lips, here's a new one from their forthcoming album, Embryonic. Enjoy!
Flaming Lips - See the Leaves
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment