Welcome to Readyplay Radio! Inspired by my radio show (of the same name, only on Chicago's WHPK 88.5 fm), I've decided to branch out into a blog where I can share more or less random music with the world. Each day I will bring you some music - some new, some old. All awesome. Lots of power pop, jangle pop and other guitar-driven pop. Some rock. Psych. Punk. Noise. Dance. Drone. Etc. Like I said, it's pretty broad, but it's all here, ready to be played! (get it???) So play it up!
As for today, I will share two songs. First, a song that's just been released on a split with Eat Skull, put out by Tough Love, an English imprint. The group is Male Bonding, and the song is called "Year's Not Long" - it's got great soaring momentum on the verses, echoing vocals oscillating over a ringing guitar riff that swirls back and forth in a very streamlined, thermal-boosted fashion (not to be confused with the Thermals, which this does not sound like).Male Bonding - Year's Not Long
The other song I want to share is by Roy Wood, one of the main men behind 60s art-pop outfit the Move and, later, the band Wizzard. I've been trying in vain to listen to the Move, but all I've come across is his solo LP Mustard, which boasts a couple great tracks, and a lot of mediocre ones (and some unhealthy Brian Wilson obsessions to boot). When he's not aping the legend, he does some great stuff on his own. In fact, I'll present the album's two greatest tracks here - consider one of them a bonus! "Any Old Time Will Do" is a fairly straightforward '70s pop song with great piano and wonderful instrumental flourishes. It also has a very recognizable chord progression at the end of each chorus, but I can't peg it at the moment - if you recognize it please let me know, it's killing me! The other track, "You Sure Got It Now," runs the gamut from early girl groups to blues to some great simple rock'n'roll jamming out. Inventive and fantastic.
Roy Wood - Any Old Time Will Do
Roy Wood - You Sure Got It Now
That's all for today - but tune in tomorrow for more! I hope to have this thing rocking out on a daily basis, so hopefully there should be plenty more on the way...
Sean
No comments:
Post a Comment