Monday, August 24, 2009

Readyplay Radio is proud to present...the CCCP!

The Cape Cod Cassette Playlist, that is. We drove from New Jersey to Cape Cod and back, with only a cassette player to tide us over - so my girlfriend and I bought a bunch of cassettes to prepare, and this is what we nabbed.

Cheap Trick - s/t debut
Devo - Freedom of Choice
Doobie Brothers - Best of the Doobies Vols. 1 and 2
Nuggets Vol. 10: Folk Rock

And our friend Dugan lent us...

Pillars and Tongues - My Joys Are Greater Than Ever They Have Been
Buendias (a side project of his)
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

And while in Cape Cod we picked up...

Prince - Sign o the Times
Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual (with "Jane Says" and another song manually added to the end of side one!)

And Caroline's sister picked up...

The Cranberries - Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

And then we stopped back at my house on the way home and borrowed from my parents...

Cat Stevens - Greatest Hits
The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine (cassette 2)
Bob Dylan - Biograph (cassette 2)
and some Willie Nelson album I don't remember and we never got around to listening to

As you can see, there was much music being played from all over the spectrum, and all of them were albums that I had never heard (some I'd heard in part, but not all the way through). The cream of the crop in my biased opinion were definitely the Nuggets comp (particularly Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)"), the Cheap Trick, the Dylan, the Doobies Greatest Hits (Vol. 1), and Prince. I will also say the Gin Blossoms album was surprisingly consistent, and The Dirty Projectors and Pillars and Tongues albums were also great (thanks again Dugan!)

Since these are all on cassette, I can't post any best-of tracks at the moment, but I will try and procure some in mp3 form soon. I also picked up some classic LPs at a flea market while up there, including:

The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!
The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
Patti Smith - Horses
Tommy James & the Shondells - Greatest Hits

It's been a very musical week. And I will bring the best of that music to you as soon as I can. So keep reading, and keep an ear out - more tunes are on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment