Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ok I lied

So, remember how I said I wouldn't have internet access for a week? That's not totally true. I have it today, and will probably have it sporadically throughout the week - whether for enough time to continue posting though, I can't be sure. And either way, I don't have my music with me, so I can't post any songs, which kind of defeats the purpose. Unless there's some interesting news to develop on. Like, for instance, last night's Nofunny Fauxbunny show at the Bottom Lounge. The night started out well enough - good sets from hometown favorites the Yolks, the Rock n Roll Adventure Kids, and Thee Makeout Party (though my friend noted the latter's "alternative" sound, which, combined with, again, Girls performance with the Smith Westerns last week, makes me wonder if there really is an alt-90s revival going on...) Anyway, we were all psyched to see Justin Nobunny. What we got instead was Nathan Nobunny, in one of the most bizarre shows I've ever seen. Prefaced with "Nobunny is sick tonight and so he'll only be playing a few songs," Nathan (from the Yolks) then proceeded to come out with a makeshift magazine paper bunny mask and a pair of green underwear with a wig stuffed in the front, pretending to be Nobunny. To many, it didn't seem to make a difference: the crowd went wild during every song, and even people who were definitely in the know got into it. And, to be honest, it was entertaining; the backup band was good, Nathan (though very clearly not Nobunny) did a bangup job, despite forgetting the words occasionally and having to ask which song would be next every time. But still, the most captivating part of the performance was seeing if they'd get through it without a hitch - if the scam would be revealed, and, if so, if it would even matter. At some point somebody yelled into the mic "You're not Nobunny motherfucker!" and Nate continually kept telling the front row to shut the fuck up, but the audience by and large didn't seem fazed. And I found it very entertaining. Granted, I didn't pay for the show, and I was disappointed not to see the real Nobunny (especially since I probably won't get another chance to before leaving for Japan in a month), but when's the next time anyone will see Nate pretending to be Nobunny, or anyone this side of DOOM sending out imposters? (I'm still not sure his Pitchfork set was really him, btw). Oh, the hidden pitfalls of masked musicians. In the meantime, Justin, if you really are sick, I hope you feel better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment